Toy photography brings out the child in many photographers, as most of us like to play with toys even as grown-ups. Actually, playing with kids’ toys is great fun for all of us. Therefore, photographers see toy photography as a good subject to photograph and use in compositions.
There are many toys that work well in toy photography shots, such as super hero characters, movie stars, cartoon characters, and anime toys. The best way to find suitable toys for shooting is to go to a toy store and start exploring the different small characters there.
- Toy photography mainly relies on the arrangement of the toys in the scene. However, there are a few tips that you should consider in order to get interesting toy photos:
- Even though they are lifeless objects, the toys in your shots should appear more like humans or small living creatures. You can achieve this by choosing a suitable shooting angle. For example, you can lower the camera to the level of the toys.
- The secret behind toy photography is that each shot tells a story. When you arrange the toys in a scene, they should tell a story or perform a specific action.
- Many photographers limit their toy photography to indoor shots, but you can try both indoor and outdoor photos,. Outdoor shots can give you a way different experience than the indoor ones.
- Let the toys inspire you, each toy is designed to rely on the kids’ imagination, and each toy has a story behind it. Use the toy character to inspire you with scene ideas. For example, you can add Superman flying in the shot.
You can also get inspiration for toy photography through the following showcase of photos taken by different photographers.